Match Report

Match Report - 29 Aug 2009, Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV beat Marr

01 Sep 2009 : Ross High RFC 21 v Marr RFC 19
The strong wind blowing across the pitch had an immediate effect when Ross High were awarded a penalty in the first minute but the conversion attempt was swung away past the left hand post. Two minutes later, however, the Tranent team took the lead after excellent movement and handling, firstly to the right touchline and then back left where centre Michael Patterson sped through the gap which eventually opened in the visitors’ defence. Again the wind foiled stand off Dean Jones, the ball drifting past the same left-hand post.

Within seven minutes the home team found themselves down 5 points to 7 down , when the Marr No.12 burst straight through the middle of the Ross defence and skipped past two more tackle attempts to score between the posts. The conversion attempt was successful.

Buoyed up by this Marr enjoyed their best period of the game but at the end of the first quarter found themselves trailing 8-7 thanks to a successful Jones penalty, awarded for holding in the ruck. Marr continued to pressurise the home team and it was in this period of pressure that lock Bruce Stoddart was adjudged to have gone over the ball and was consequently shown the yellow card. The visitors saw the chance and tried to up the pressure but the score they got came courtesy of a Ross error when they won their own line out comfortably, but flanker Ryan Strachan elected to release the ball from the top, and it was swept away by the wind past scrum half Barry Scott. Marr pounced on the loose ball and quick passing to the left saw them round the High backs and score, again between the posts, which was duly converted. With a minute of the half remaining Ross were awarded a penalty Which Jones converted to reduce the deficit to 11 - 14. Half time.

From the kick off Ross High stormed down the slope and camped on the Marr line and within 2 minutes No.8 Steven Ketchen picked up from the base of the scrum and scored round the narrow side. The try was not converted.

The home forwards were now getting the upper hand and made use of the change in the laws, which now allowed ‘proper’ scrums, putting the visitors in a spot of bother at the set piece. Most of the play was made down in the Marr 22 but there was always the threat of a break out to trouble the Ross.

Just past the hour mark after slick handling by the Tranent side, open side flanker Justin Savala slipped an inside pass to supporting full back Steven McDonald who zipped through for a try.

High continued to press looking for the fourth try and a bonus point to start the season in style, but instead finished nervously when, firstly they gave possession away with a wayward kick which saw Marr again break down that left wing to score a try which brought the difference to 2 points. Almost on full time Marr tried a long range penalty attempt, which, fortunately for the home side, fell short of the posts.

Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV 21 - 19 Marr

Tries : Steven Ketchin, Michael Patterson, Steven McDonald
Conversions :
Penalties : Dean Jones(2)
Drop Goals :