Match Report

Match Report - 05 Sep 2009, Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV drew with Hawick Linden

The loud cheer from the home stand at the end of this toothless game,
and the quiet dejection from the visitors told the story that this
was one that had slipped away from Ross High. Although they were the
only team in the league to gain points away from home in the second week,
the feeling was of two, possibly three, points squandered.

Hawick started the brighter and had most of the possession in the
early stages, but all they had to show for 15 minutes on top, were two
converted penalties, one for offside in the backs and the second for holding on.

This seemed to galvanise Ross into action and two minutes later stand
off Dean Jones reduced the deficit with a penalty, awarded for going
over the top.

With 25 minutes gone Ross were forced to make a change at lock when
Steven Heron replaced his brother Paul, and on the half hour found
themselves back to six points behind, due to a drop goal by the
Linden No10.

From the re-start Ross High created their first fluent passage of
play, with the ball being moved from right to left and back to full
back Stuart Ross, who came into the line to release a well timed pass
to centre Michael Patterson who scorched into score. Jones

From the re-start Ross almost punished the homesters again when
flanker Steven Ketchen linked well with the backs, feeding S. Ross
who again fired a good ball to winger Keith Rawlinson, but the ball was
unfortunately dropped when a score looked possible. The half
finished with Ross in the ascendency and Jones was held up over the line.

Five minutes into the second half Ross High increased their lead.
No8 Ketchen picked up and fed stand off Jones who made a half break and
slipped the ball back to his No8 who crashed over to score. Jones
took the two points to make the score 17-9 in favour of the visitors.
However, on the hour mark, Hawick got another penalty which they
converted.With 10 minutes to go flanker Ryan Strachan picked up from
the base of a ruck and pinned back his ears to beat everyone in a 30
metre sprint to the line.

At this point with under ten minutes remaining and the score at 22-
12 the big question was whether the Tranent side had enough time to gain
the bonus point. However, Ross seemed to feel the job was done and
sat back which prooved their undoing. With 5 minutes remaining Ross High
dropped a ball around half way and Linden pounced on it to feed their
No14 who scored close enough to the posts to allow their stand off to
collect the two extra points. In the second minute of injury time,
Hawick were awarded a penalty on the half way and the No10, having
seen an earlier attempt drift wide in the breeze, made no mistake . From
the re-start High launched an attack but knocked forward. From the
resultant scrum Ross drove their opponents off the ball but the
referee re-set the scrum indicating a Ross put in , then decided it was time
to blow the final whistle, so Ross had to settle for the draw.

Hawick Linden 22 - 22 Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV

Tries : Ryan Strachan, Steven Ketchin, Michael Patterson
Conversions : Dean Jones(2)
Penalties : Dean Jones
Drop Goals :