Match Report

Match Report - 06 Mar 2010, Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV lost to Allan Glen's

Ross High RFC 20 v Allan Glen's 26
With Steven Ketchin absent this week lock Bruce Stoddart took over the captain's duties against league high fliers Allan Glen's from Bishopriggs.
Ross started off kicking down the slope and set out to put the visitors under pressure with stand off Dean Jones putting in some searching kicks pinning Glens in their 22. The pressure told and Jones opened the home account with a penalty. Ross maintained the pressure and with the forwards making a series of assaults on the Glen's line you felt that a try had to come. However the visitors defended solidly, but the inevitable happened and from a ruck close to the line High prop, Luke Welsh drove over for the opening try, which Jones converted.
Ross were trying to allow the dangerous Glens backs as little time on the ball as possible and were putting in some ferocious tackles, Chris Miller and Adam Hook to the fore here, disrupting the visitor's composure, and eventually benefittng when they added a second try, again through a series of forward surges. Jones added the extra points.
When it looked like a major upset was just round the corner, a combination of Ross taking the foot off the accelerator and Glens digging deep, resulted in the visitors picking up a couple of penalties, the second of which was needless as Ross had turned the ball over but then went over the ball. The visiting stand off grabbed both chances and the teams went in at half time at 17-6 for Ross High.
The visitors wasted no time in using the slope by kicking deep into High territory but from the fielded ball Ross launched an attack with winger Michael Patterson making a 50metre mazy run which was eventually halted on the Glens 22. Obviouisly some harsh words had been said during the Glens half time break as they were in no mood to accept losing their title challenge without a fight and for the next twenty minutes hammered away at Ross. This endeavour eventually paid dividends, the referee awarding Glens two penalties which the ever accurate No10 took with ease.
'Game on' as they say, and Glens now had the scent which lead to a marvellous individual try by the stand off who cut inside the advancing Ross defence and put his foot on the gas to score between the posts. He duly added the two extra points. Behind for the first time, Ross were just getting to grips with this situation when they found themselves further behind when Glens fielded a clearing kick and broke left resulting with the wing man running round to score. The try was converted.
Ross are not a team to lie down to anybody these days, and set about repairing the damage. This attitude paid off when they were awarded a penalty which Jones converted. More Ross attacks followed and they were unlucky not to score in the dying minutes, but a desparate last ditch tackle denied Hook from scoring in the corner.
As in the last game against National 1 team Ellen in the cup, Ross equalled the try count but lost out on kicks. Needless penalties and some weak kicking were the main reasons why ross lost out to a very good Allan Glen's side.

Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV 20 - 26 Allan Glen's

Tries : Luke Welsh, Steven Henderson
Conversions : Dean Jones(2)
Penalties : Dean Jones(2)
Drop Goals :