Match Report

Match Report - 04 Sep 2010, Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV lost to Cumbernauld

Match report provided by Cumbernauld


After experiencing defeat in their National 3 League debut last weekend, Cumbernauld returned to winning ways with an exciting display against their east coast rivals. Cumbernauld registered their intent as early as the third minute when Greig Gilmour, selected at hooker, stormed through for a try. This score was a result of some quick thinking from David Inverarity who took a short penalty from which the Cumbernauld hooker took full advantage. The try was converted by full back Iain Moffat and Cumbernauld went on to double their try count in the 11th minute when the other member of the Gilmour clan, Ross, scampered up the wing to score in the corner following great handling from his fellow backs. Iain Moffat was unable to convert from a tight angle but Cumbernauld had a very comfortable cushion of 12 points.

But oh how in the blink of an eye, a scoreline can change around. Ross High converted 3 straight penalties to edge closer to Cumbernauld. Coach Harry Wallace was pacing the touchline, urging his players to sharpen up and stop giving away soft penalties. His exhortations did not go in vain as Jordan Reid, taking the ball in the wing position, scored in the corner to give Cumbernauld a half time lead of 17- 9. The home team then picked up the pace in the second half and Martin Wallace, Cumbernauld’s speed king, notched a brace of tries by taking the ball around his opposition wing to score beneath the posts on both occasions. Full back Moffat duly converted both tries and added another penalty to give Cumbernauld 34-9 led at this juncture.

Ross High, battling bravely in the face of overwhelming pace and power from the home side, then pulled a try back before Raymond Au scored brilliantly in the corner, chasing a charge-down from one of Cumbernauld’s forwards. The scoring was not yet over as Ross Gilmour scored his own second and Cumbernauld’s 7th try, quickly followed by a Ruaridh Clark try for a final score of 51-14.

There was even a cameo role for Gerry Rush who came on early in the second half after Greig Gilmour had to come off injured while Paul Mooney and Ruaridh Clark replaced Alex Stokes and Martin Wallace respectively. Grant Cowie, Cumbernauld’s captain was delighted with his team’s performance, following last weekend’s disappointment.

Cumbernauld 51 - 14 Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV

Tries : Steven Ketchin
Conversions : Paul Davis(3)
Penalties :
Drop Goals :