Match Report

Match Report - 25 Sep 2010, Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV lost to Hawick Lindean

Match report provided by Hawick Linden


For the second season in succession, a late try secured victory for the Linden at Tranent. On Saturday they left it extremely late as Colin Murray crossed on the last play of the game for the winning score. With a number of forwards unavailable the Royal Blues knew they would be up against it with Ross High always strong up front. The home side was quickly in front from a penalty after the Linden were caught on the wrong side at a ruck. The visitors responded well and the forwards took ball on following a scrum and when the ball was released to stand-off Mark McCall, he went on a lovely dancing run and his quick feet somehow created a gap to cross for a try. Soon after, the backs showed their skills from a scrum, with some lovely hands in a top class move just failing to create another score.

Back came the home side and they scored from a short-range scrum that looked to have wheeled round. The Ross High backs were caught offside and Colin Murray’s penalty brought the game level at 8-all. A second penalty from Murray on the stroke of half-time put the Linden 11-8 ahead at the break.

Playing down the slope Ross High started to dominate possession and a number of penalties meant the Linden were playing without the ball. Mid-way through the half the game flared up. Following a tackle, a home lock forward needlessly punched Darrell Gray in the face and a straight red was the referee’s only option. Despite being the original victim, retaliation from Gray also resulted in an early bath. This sparked the Linden into life and Mark McCall made another cracking break, found Keith Mabon on his shoulder and the prop romped over. Colin Murray’s conversion put the Linden 18-8 ahead.

Line out ball from Ross High was moved along the backs and their winger crossed in the corner. With time running out the home loose head became the third player sent-off as he was caught stamping on Mabon. Despite their man advantage, the Linden couldn’t get the ball from the bulky home forwards who eventually went over from short range for the equalizing score with only 2 minutes remaining. However, whenever the Linden got ball their backs looked dangerous and from deep in their own half Greg Bouglas was put into space and kicked ahead. Nathan Murray won the ball back and some brilliant inter-passing took the Linden to the try line. The ball was recycled and, with the home defence sucked in, slick passing along the line allowed Colin Murray to stroll over for the match winning score.

This was a Linden performance of real character from 1 to 15. Although the Linden struggled to obtain possession from their much heavier opponents, their backs looked threatening whenever they had ball in hand. Mark McCall had a fine game at 10, as did the Murray’s at centre. The scrum stood up well and the whole front row deserve praise. Driving line outs and pick and drives were defended aggressively with John Tait always in the thick of things and Ryan Beattie used his huge frame to great effect in the tight defensive chores.

Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV 18 - 23 Hawick Lindean

Tries : Chris Tinlin, Steven Ketchin, Ryan McDonald
Conversions :
Penalties : Paul Davis
Drop Goals :