Match Report

Match Report - 23 Oct 2010, Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV lost to GHK

Match report provided by GHK

GHK 62

Quickfire scores from Danny Campbell,Mike Borthwick and Tony Herron to go 21 - 0 up within 8 mins set the scene for GHK to dictate the game throughout. After the initial burst the game settled down for a while.

Ross High did have their moments mainly through their strong pack who contested well both at set piece and in the loose. A penalty to Ross High was kicked to 10 metres out from the GHK line where the line out was taken and driven with ball released for a half break and pop pass for a score at the posts. 21-7 in 29 mins. Ross High picked up their game and GHK had to work hard to hold off a series of rolling mauls and drives with several held up on the line. The GHK line held firm.

Having sustained the pressure,GHK threatened to cut loose with some great handling and support play creating any number of scoring chances but a mixture of overdoing chip kicks,dropped passes or not utilising overlaps slowed the scoring rate. Andy Fleming produced a delightful chip,took it on the bounce and moved the ball through the hands only to see the opportunity lost as the cover got back to save the try. Whilst the finishing wasn't quite there the interplay was of the highest quality and it was only to be a matter of time before more scores came.

In 34 mins Andy Fleming took a knock and went off. Danny Campbell moved to scrum half,Mike Aird shifted to stand off and Andy Slorence came on to the wing.Just after the changes, Greg Wolard, who had a storming game, took loose ball, ran strongly and weaved his way through the defence to score a well taken solo try. Another break by Greg on 41 mins was well supported and Hugh Parker fed Danny Campbell who kicked beyond the defence and won the race to touch down at the posts. Tony Herron slotted the conversion to make it 35 - 7 at half time.

GHK continued where they left off;spurning a few opportunities but taking others to score 5 more tries in the second period. In 46 mins good scrummage pressure on Ross High's ball on their 5 metre line resulted in the ball popping out the back and Mike Borthwick the ever present predator reacted quickest and pounced on the ball to score. In 55 mins a couple of hits and drives from a tap penalty with quick ball released to Tony Herron coming in to the line at pace ,was recycled and Andrew Shedden ran in to score. A few minutes later,more good hands from loose play,with a miss pass to Danny Hoffmann,on to Gordi Reid who gave a nicely timed pass to Rory Taylor running outside his man to score in the corner.

As the game moved in to the closing stages Andy Drummond took a knock and Greg Woolard came back on. Several GHK drives were held up by Ross High but when the ball was moved away from the ruck, Mike Aird threw a neat dummy and sliced through for the try. GHK finished the game the way they started. Turnover ball was won on their own 22 and Greg Woolard broke clear,running a good 60 metres before off loading to Danny Campbell who worked hard to get in support and took the pass to run on and score at the posts.


GHK 62 - 7 Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV

Tries : Kevin Brogan
Conversions : Paul Davis
Penalties :
Drop Goals :