Match Report

Match Report - 27 Sep 2008, Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV beat MARR

The bizarre ending , when the referee blew up 4 minutes early, was
probably the biggest talking point in what was a dour game. A minor
scuffle broke out on the far side of the pitch from the referee and by
the time he reached the ’melee’, players from both sides had calmed
things down and peace was almost established. However, after a few
words the referee blew for no-side leaving everyone puzzled as to why.
The game had not been unruly nor particularly dirty, only one yellow
card shown, but as the official deigned from going back to the
clubhouse everyone was left in the dark as to his conclusions.

As stated before, the game was neither pretty nor entertaining. The
first half saw Marr with the majority of possession, but by half time
they found themselves 6-3 down courtesy of Dean Jones landing two
penalties. Ross High had started the game well but a lethargy seemed
to set in and, apart from a neat move involving Jones and winger
Graeme McCran, they spent most of the half chasing men in purple

After a bit of a ‘talking to ‘ at half time, Ross started up the slope
with a bit more determination and duly increased their lead with
another Jones penalty. Then came the highlight as far as Ross High
were concerned, when No.10 Jones slipped a delightful grubber kick
through the Marr defence for winger Gareth Stevenson to pounce on, and
score in the corner. Stand off Jones slotted the conversion. There
were some runs from Paul Davis, Bob Baillie and Chris Hutchison , but
they all lacked backing and the movement never really developed,
lacking the fluency of last season.

A clearing kick by full back Davis was picked up by the opposing
centre who despatched the ball behind the home side’s back line,
followed up his own kick, and scored close to the posts. The try was
converted. A penalty a few minutes later saw the Troon men close to
within 3 points and memories of the game against Lenzie earlier this
season, when a similar situation saw Ross lose out, began to haunt
However with the home support nervously glancing at their watches, in
stepped the referee and sighs of relief were heard from Ross players
and supporters alike, as the final whistle was blown.
The Tranent men had grabbed their first league win this campaign which
moved them a couple of places up the league. They are, however, still
trying to find a senior/forwards coach as soon as possible following
the departure of Graham Paris.


Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV 16 - 13 MARR

Tries : Gareth Stevenson
Conversions : Dean Jones
Penalties : Dean Jones(3)
Drop Goals :