Match Report

Match Report - 04 Oct 2008, Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV beat GRANGEMOUTH

It was a case of ‘elevenses’ before half time as far as Ross High were
concerned when they visited Grangemouth on Saturday, with captain Dean
Jones converting three penalties on the 11th, 22nd, and 33rd minutes to
give the Tranent men a 9-0 lead at the interval. Although the large
park was in good condition, the weather was not, with cold rain blowing
into the faces of Ross High from the kick- off making handling
difficult. Grangemouth were a fairly big outfit and early thoughts
were that the Ross pace could be a telling factor although the
conditions were to prove a problem to both sides. Despite surges from
Ryan Strachan and Chris Hutchison, the Ross could not break through
those last few yards, conceding penalties for not releasing in the
eyes of the French referee, and only had the three penalties to show at
the end of the half.

With the wind at their backs Ross High were intent on putting
Grangemouth under territorial pressure and a series of long range kicks
by Jones saw to this. On the hour mark, and after a period of
encampment in the opposition 22, the first try came in the left corner,
thanks to flanker Steven Henderson who had followed up a backs move.
Ross High kept up the pressure and the confidence of last season looked
to be returning and two more tries were to follow. Both involved stand-
off Jones but the No.10 would be the first to admit a bit of good
fortune was involved in both. Also, of course, he would say you play
for your luck! In the first instant Jones made a lovely break from
behind a ruck and with the line a yard away he passed to loose-head
prop, Ian Clarke. Unfortunately the pass was at ankle level resulting
in the ball being hacked through into a Grangemouth player’s hands and
he duly attempted to clear his lines, straight into the advancing Jones
who charged the kick down and fell on the loose ball to score. Jones

The second try came a few minutes later after a delightful interchange
between Jones and Hutchison which saw Jones clear on the line with one
defender to beat and Ross left wing, Graeme McCran, outside him. The
stand-off elected to ignore his winger and go himself , right into the
arms of the defender who had guessed correctly, but not before he had
managed to off load to scrum half Jamie Evans, who seemed to appear
from nowhere. Jones again converted. The sin-binning of 2nd row,
Bruce Stoddart, saw Ross High come under pressure for the first time in
the 2nd half and they conceded a try when , after a period of pressure
close to the Ross line, the home team flanker dived through. The try
was not converted. The last plays of the half saw Ross going for the
bonus point but it was not to be.

In the pack there were good performances from Ryan Strachan, Luke
Welsh and Kevin Brogan, with Bruce Stoddard a telling influence on his
return. Behind the scrum Michael Patterson looked hungry for the ball
and Jones led his line well , kicking superbly throughout.


GRANGEMOUTH 5 - 28 Ross High Rugby Football Club 1st XV

Tries : Steven Henderson, Jamie Evans, Dean Jones
Conversions : Dean Jones(2)
Penalties : Dean Jones(3)
Drop Goals :